onsdag, mars 22, 2006

Broken Flowers

We rented Broken Flowers the other day. You know, the movie with Bill Murray that the critics seems to love.

Now I have different options in how to proceed with my feedback on this movie. I can play along and say that I loved it and that it was amazing so that I fit the profile of the intellectuals. Or.. I can be honest and tell you that I liked it but that I didn't find it particulary amazing. In fact, I am not sure I got the point of the movie at all.

Don't get me wrong, I have lots of theories on what the movie wanted to convey and I prefer a movie that is not obvious over one that is any day of the week. And even if the movie was beautiful in the way that it was shot and carefully planned in esthetics I still didn't feel that it was enough for it to be amazing.

I require something more mind blowing for that.

So I got to thinking. Why has there been such a chain reaction when it comes to praising this movie? I'm still not saying that it was a bad movie, it just left me hanging too much for me to classify it as pensive. Is it simply that people are afraid that they would be considered idiots if they don't praise it. I mean if one critic loves it and another doesn't understand it, would he or she really admitt that? Wouldn't it be easier to just pretend that they understood what was so amazing and join the line of those who understand better than the rest.

Usually the critics are right about movies. At least to my liking. But in this and a few other cases I just have to wonder if they aren't acting out of cowardice.

There is of course another explination. A very plausible one. And that is that I am an idiot who just doesn't get it. Well, if that is the case, at least I am an honest idiot.

2 kommentarer:

123123123 sa...

Vad bra, nu slipper man ödsla tid på den filmen! :) Du behöver inte hålla med mig nu men jag tyckte att The Aviator var otroligt seg och bara ett slöseri på tid. Den fullkomligt badade i hyllningar och priser.

Dusina sa...

Broken Flowers var inte direkt dålig, bara inte så fantastisk som jag hade trott. Jag tyckte att de lämnade slutet alldeles för öppet. Men det var en snygg och lagom underhållande film, väl värd att se men inte värd att hoppas för mycket på.

Tyckte också att Aviator var seg och menlös. Förstod inte poängen med den filmen heller.